• Call For Your Complimentary Consultation (845) 533-0265.
  • 24 Hours A Day, 7 Days A Week
The Inniss Firm, PLLC

Public Knowledge Of DUI DWI Arrest Lawyer, New York CityWill My Name Be In The Newspaper If I Get Arrested For DUI Or DWI?

Your name can be in the newspaper if you get arrested for DUI or DWI. Any arrest is a public matter that the police report in their blotter, and the press or the public can view the police blotter. In addition, reporters can place the results from the police blotter in the newspaper or other news accounts.

In addition to newspaper accounts, many internet sites and social media platforms list arrests. A host of for-profit companies also list police arrests and make those available for a modest price or a small fee.

So yes, your name can be in the newspaper if you get arrested for a DWI or DUI. Even if you’re falsely detained or incorrectly, they don’t wait for the conviction to list it. When the police make an arrest, they almost immediately put the name in their blotter.

Will My Neighbor Or My Employer Find Out If I’m Arrested Or Convicted For A DUI Or DWI?

Anyone can find out about your arrest if they want because a DWI is a matter of public record. Such arrests are placed in the police blotter for any member of the public to view (including reporters and newspapers).

Newspapers will get that information because it’s the news, and they’ll report it in their newspaper or on other news sites.

How Long Is An Inpatient Stay For Alcohol Abuse, Substance Abuse, Or Drug Abuse?

Typically, an inpatient session lasts for 30 days. But, how long an inpatient stay lasts for substance abuse depends on numerous factors. One factor is determining the individual patient’s needs following an assessment. The treatment agency or other medical professionals perform this assessment.

For example, suppose you are assessed by a medical professional, and they determine you drink excessively. They may say that a specific timeframe in the treatment center is necessary. Sometimes, your inpatient stay can be shorter than a month, like two weeks or more than 30 days, depending on the individual circumstances or the assessment of the patient.

After 30 days, frequently considered a detoxification period, they’ll reassess you and determine whether you need to stay and, if so, how long.

Will My Employer Find Out If I Entered An Alcohol Or A Substance Abuse Treatment Center?

Your employer will only be notified that you are in a treatment center if you, your family member, or your friend tells them.

It is against the law for medical facilities to release the names of their patients. Therefore, anyone who is a patient in an alcohol or drug treatment facility is not a matter of public record. That’s a confidential matter.

Will I Lose My Law License If Arrested Or Convicted For A DUI Or DWI In New York?

You will not automatically lose your license to practice law in New York if you get arrested for a DUI or DWI. However, if you’re convicted, your law license can be revoked depending on the circumstances of your case.

However, if it’s your first time and your arrest was not associated with anything that involved a crash or a significant personal injury, the board may require you to do a host of things. The board’s requirements can include:

  • Probation
  • Going to a drug treatment facility center for a while
  • More various consequences

So, you don’t automatically lose your law license just because you got arrested for DUI/DWI. But, if you injure or kill someone and you get convicted of a felony, other, more harsh ramifications may be imposed on you, including the loss of your law license.

Do I Have To Tell My University Or College If I’m A College Student And Got A DUI Or DWI In New York State?

Depending on your college or university, you may have to tell them about your arrest, but frequently you do not have to. There’s a broad scope of what universities require of their students, so there’s more than one answer.

But, suppose your arrest occurred on campus, and that violates a particular policy or procedure of the student disciplinary rules. In this case, the arrest happening on school property is a factor. This situation reflects that your actions put others in jeopardy or, overall, in danger.

You may have agreed to report these types of things when you became a student at the college. And when you agree to be a student there, you must abide by their policies and procedures. So, whether you need to notify your college varies depending on the institution that you are attending.

Will I Be Kicked Out Of College Or Lose My Financial Aid For A DUI/DWI?

Depending on the facts and circumstances of your case and the policies and procedures of the individual university, your school could expel you.

Whether you’ll lose your financial aid varies and depends on several factors, such as:

  • Were you convicted?
  • Is your aid issued by the state or federal government?
  • Is your financial aid a scholarship?
  • Were you assigned specific guidelines, such as behavioral guidelines, to continue to receive the aid?

A conviction for a DWI, which is a criminal conviction, can impact whether you continue to receive financial aid. Other factors depend on who is providing that financial assistance, the type of financial aid you receive, and anything assigned to that aid as a requisite of you receiving financial aid are certainly contract specific.

What Penalties Am I Facing If I Was Arrested And Charged With Underage DUI In New York State?

New York has a zero-tolerance law for motorists under the age of 21 who drink and drive. In addition, an Underage DUI charge can occur whether you drink and drive or smoke marijuana and drive. This is due to marijuana and low-level DUIs now being legal in this state – but not if you’re under age 21.

While the threshold for an adult to be convicted of DWI is 0.08% BAC,

it’s much less for someone under age 21.

If you’re under 21, you can be cited and detained for as little as having a BAC of 0.02% because the law is zero tolerance. Being underage and having alcohol in your system can trigger a separate, state DMV Administrative Procedure. The state DMV Administrative Procedure is where the underage person goes before an Administrative Law Judge and is processed under that New York state zero-tolerance law.

An Underage DUI Charge Vs. A Driving After Having Consumed Alcohol Charge

What penalties you face for Underage DUI depends on whether you took the breath alcohol test. For example, suppose you blew at least a 0.02 but not more than a 0.07. In this situation, you can get charged with Driving After Having Consumed Alcohol.

A Driving After Having Consumed Alcohol charge is a civil offense. An Administrative Judge at the Department of Motor Vehicles will hear your case.

The punishment for a Driving After Having Consumed Alcohol charge can be:

  • Six months license suspension
  • $125 fine
  • If you have a prior conviction, your license can be revoked for one year or until you reach age 21, whichever is longer.

Suppose you blew more than a 0.05% BAC but less than 0.08%. There are different consequences for a high-level BAC, but they depend on whether you blew, what you blew, and if you’re under age 21.

Like an Underage DUI, an Administrative Law Judge may also hear your Driving After Having Consumed Alcohol case within the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles. The Administrative Judge can also establish different fines or penalties depending on whether it’s your first, second, or third offense.

For more information on Public Knowledge Of DUI/DWI Arrest, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Then, get the information and legal answers you seek today by calling (845) 533-0265.

Randall Inniss, Esq.

Call For Your Complimentary Consultation
(845) 533-0265

If You Have Been Arrested, Time Is Precious So Don't Delay Or
Wait! Call Us Today At (845) 533-0265

Accessibility Accessibility
× Accessibility Menu CTRL+U